As of the date of this posting (August 24, 2022), we are seeking to fill one Policy Associate or Senior Policy Associate position.
The team member in this position is a strong policy and legislative researcher and reviewer, clear and persuasive writer and communicator, implementer, and problem solver, who is detail- and deadline-oriented, capable, self-motivated, proactive, supportive, and very organized.
This Policy Associate position supports and enhances the ACLU of Oregon’s mission, vision, and values by:
- Engaging in policy-related research and writing and bill analysis.
- Engaging in policy, legislative, and lobbying work at local and state levels.
- For this position, we have a strong preference for applicants who are able to conduct legal analyses of policies, legislation, and bills, in addition to general analyses.
We are looking for individuals with the following strengths and experience:
- Required: prior education and/or experience applicable to policy-related research and writing and bill analysis, and policy, legislative, and lobbying work at local and state levels.
- Required: proven significant and continuous prior commitment to and experience with work and efforts — both internal and external to an organization — that align with and further the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, anti-racism, anti-misogyny, anti-transphobia, anti-homophobia, anti-ableism, and other forms of anti-oppression.
- Strongly preferred: prior work, volunteer, or lived experience with communities and coalitions doing racial justice work.
- Strongly preferred: ability to engage in legal analyses of policies, legislation, and bills.
- Preferred: prior work, volunteer, or lived experience in several of the following civil liberties and civil rights areas — racial justice, criminal legal system reform, law enforcement accountability, government accountability, LGBTQ+ rights, immigrant and refugees’ rights, free speech, reproductive justice, equal rights and anti-discrimination, and privacy.
- Or equivalent education and/or experience. We will consider applicants who can demonstrate the ability to grow their strengths in these areas even though they may not have direct formal education or work experience.
This is a salaried, exempt, full-time position. Based on the experience and ability level of the successful applicant, the ACLU of Oregon will determine if the individual will start as a Policy Associate or Senior Policy Associate. The annual salary for a Policy Associate is $66,000 and for Senior Policy Associate is $76,000.
Because we have established an internal salary system that centers equity, clarity and transparency, competitiveness, and sustainability, salaries for positions are not negotiable.
Currently, we are developing a values- and equity-based approach to implementing upwards salary adjustments for team members who are able to demonstrate that based on their lived experience, work or volunteer experience, formal or informal education, and/or language skills they have or will be able to contribute significant value to the ACLU of Oregon's work in the areas of anti-racism, equity, and centering of and connection to BIPOC or other marginalized communities important to the ACLU of Oregon's work, and that this contribution is significantly greater than the level of general competence and contribution in these areas expected of ACLU of Oregon staff in each of our positions.
We provide an excellent benefits package which is summarized in the job posting.
To learn more about the position and how to apply, please visit the full Policy Associate Posting. *Please open the job posting as a PDF, not a Google or Word document.
If you would like to apply, please submit your application at the Policy Associate Application.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any assistance accessing the job posting or job application.